Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Downing Street Memo Oh My!

You know, I spent a considerable number of years trying to find a cure for reality. I never succeeded. I think though that George W. Bush must have found the answer. One thing is certain - If he's aware of reality, he sure doesn't base his actions on it!
Perhaps if I try a little harder, I, too, can succeed in banishing old reality from my life.
The latest citation from Chairman W.


Man of the YearPM Blair

"There's nothing farther from the truth," Bush told reporters as Blair stood at his side. "Both of us didn't want to use our military," Bush said in response to a question about the memo. "It was our last option." Reuters, June 8 2005.
There are so many things wrong with this sentence it's hard to know where to start. I think George is hoping the more literate portion of the audience will be distracted by the infelicity (to put it mildly) of the grammar. I personally noticed the bald-facedness of the claim. Sometime in January of 2002 I noted that the war was "on", and that while the president was claiming then as now that "War is our last option", it was also his first and his only option. As was pretty clear to the million people marching in opposition to the fantastically idiotic idea that we'd be a welcome invader in Baghdad.
Now there's nothing farther from the truth than that!

No comments: