Sunday, June 26, 2005

Has The War Ended?

I read a lot of newspapers, and I watch a lot of TeeVee news. God only knows why, I suppose it's an addiction. In my recent channelsurfing, I've noticed that Fox News (an interesting conflation of words indeed) is reporting well-nigh nonstop on the overwhelmingly important events in Aruba (BBC Report)
I think what they say is true; if a missing person report gets a lot of news coverage, odds-on the missing person is young, blonde, and pretty.


Natalee Holloway
Others, sorry, just not newsworthy!
Iraq has fallen, so to speak, off the map. To listen to and decide, based on FNN reporting, would be to conclude that the war in Iraq is over. I presume we won. However, looking around on the web, or in the (back pages) of the newspapers, I find that US military people are dying in Iraq at a higher rate than ever before, and that Iraqis are certainly doing the same (Yahoo News). I suppose all this increased destruction has to do with the increasing numbers of Operations taking place in that poor benighted country. If we keep operating on Iraq at this rate, pretty soon the patient is likely to expire completely.
One wonders; after thumping the drums for the war for so long, has Fox News decided to declare victory and go home? Or are they simply hoping it will go away if they stop reporting it? Sort of a solipsist view that seems to be pretty much inline with their normal operation.
In another cute story, House whip Tom (The Hammer)DeLay defended Karl Rove's pugnacious comments about spineless liberals. And I suppose it helped, considering that no one in recent history has been able to state things as competely incredibly astoundingly as Tom DeLay (with the possible exception of Anne Coulter of course).
Still, being defended by Mr. DeLay

seems to me a bit like being kissed by Don Corleone.
I am personally enjoying it all.
Except for the senseless stupidity of the war(s).
Parenthetically, I have to say that when George (W.) Bush set out to restore the luster of his father George (H.W.) Bush's legacy, I didn't believe it possible. But he has certainly succeeded at that! His father's incumbency now seems like a veritable golden age, compared to his son's.

No comments: