Tuesday, November 01, 2005

What Kind of a Worldview?

So, now there's an indictment - one "Scooter" Libby, a power player of some sort in the administration, backstopping Dick Cheney mostly, I guess. The indictment says he lied repeatedly (and stupidly) to the FBI and to a Grand Jury. There's some speculation as to why he did that. Two possibilities immediately come to mind. One - the lies became the truth in some sort of internal transmogrification. That can happen. Two - "I'm too smart for you to lay a glove on me!"
Well,in the event neither one of those concepts proved out, nor whatever other "interesting" kind of thinking Mr. Scooter actually used.
I'm still bedevilled though. Just what kind of worldview must one have to believe that, somehow, letting it be known that someone's spouse works for the CIA is going to discredit the person??? I'm sorry, I just can't figure this one out!
Now, if you were to tell me that someone's spouse worked at The White House, that would go some ways to discrediting that person in my estimation. But - "Be careful what you write, Joe Wilson's wife works for the CIA." -
sorry, that is just such a huge non-sequitur that it just can't stretch far enough to slime Mr. Wilson. I guess it stretched far enough to slime Mr. Libby, though, huh? So it ended up working to the benefit of the country after all, didn't it?
Democracy is awesome. Sometimes.
I ask again: Has George W. Bush restored honor to the White House yet; as he promised to do in his 2000 presidential campaign?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one Frank, I get a kick out of knowing how stupid these people are. I guess there's some comfort knowing the world hasn't change since last time i looked. Lorrie