Thursday, June 18, 2009

On The Defense Of Marriage


In The "Good Old Days" (which probably weren't really all that good), most people thought the best way to Defend Marriage was to forbid Divorce. Force people who didn't want to stay together to stay together. (Note: the Catholic Church, only now emerging from the 17th Century, still espouses this concept).
Today, most people think the best way to Defend Marriage is to forbid ermm... Marriage! Force people who do want to stay together to remain apart.
I have a Third Way: Don't let people who are going to get divorced get married! How simple is that? Only allow marriage to those who will stay married.
Hey, it could work! What's certain is that neither of the two strategies I mentioned above is worth that classic Bucket Of Warm Spit. They have been time-tested and found worthless.
Full Disclosure here: I really do not understand the fierce drive many people have to Get Married. At Any Cost.
Equally, I even more really do not understand the fierce drive some people have to decide who can and can't get married.
It's all a big riddle to me.
So, perhaps I shouldn't even be bloggerizing about it.

No comments: