Friday, May 21, 2004

George the 43rd, or is it G. 41st?

I remember in 2000, a long time ago now, lots of people were saying that George XDIII (43) wanted to become president to redeem his fathers legacy from his errors of
1.) A tax increase, and
2.) Not occupying and destroying Iraq.
Now I read where a lot of people in the "liberal left" American press are saying that George XDIII has destroyed George XDI's legacy with his record-setting budget deficits and his maladroit mishaps in Iraq. I say different. The short reign of G. XDI seems to me, now, like a veritable Golden Age. Nothing like a son showing what might-have-been to burnish dad's curriculum vitae. Perhaps something like what Tiberius said to Caligula (well, at least what Robert Graves said he said): "I shall nurture you to Rome's breast like a serpent." So that his (G. XDI - or do I mean Tiberius'?) place in history would seem finer, by comparison if not in reality.
You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...

No comments: